Monday, January 9, 2012

First Ay 21 class

Since I am waiting for code to run anyway, I thought I would look up some topics from the first Ay 21 lecture that were mentioned but that I wasn’t extremely familiar with/ didn’t know what they were, and briefly summarize what I glean from a quick, superficial review.

String theory

I’ve always thought of string theory as being some crazy theory, but never actually looked up what it was. String theory posits that the universe is made up of one-dimensional vibrating strings, which serve as the most basic particle. The theory also requires extra dimensions – I am very interested in how a theory could require extra dimensions, and how these dimensions are defined. String theory is an attempt to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics, which is why it was mentioned with respect to the Age of Quantum Gravity (that bit of time at the beginging of the universe when GR and QM were both important, and you couldn’t describe the physics of a discrete event with only one of the two theories.

M-theory

M-theory is an extension of string theory. There are different ‘types’ of string theory, and M-theory is a unifying theory meant to connect them all.

Curvature of the Universe

It is hard to imagine space itself being curved. Best I can understand it, the exact curvature of the universe is as of yet an unsolved problem. The concepts of curvature, density, and expansion of the universe are all realted: there is a critical density at which expansion would stop, and similarly the density also deteremines whether the universe is curved like a sphere, like a hyperbola, or not at all. In a curved universe, light would bend as it travels.

Carrol and Ostlie has a section on curved spacetime (it beings on page 1185). This sections says that the curvature must be constant throughout the universe for a given point in time, although the curvature may vary as the time elapsed since the big bang changes. Curvature is a time-dependant function.

Dark Energy

In class, dark energy was mentioned as being (possibly) one of the “extra” components of mass in the universe, holding 73% of the mass. Dark energy is something that Einstein predicted when he developed his cosmological costant. Dark energy, different than dark matter, exists throughout the universe, although we are unsure what form it may take. It could be a constant energy density (the cosmological constant) or it could exist in fields or some other form. Dark energy also contributes to the expansion of the universe.

Weak/Strong Forces

There are four fundamental kinds of forces in the universe: weak, strong, gravity, and electromagnetic. Unlike gravity and EM forces, the effects of which dwindle but do not disappear as distance increases, weak and strong forces only act on a atomically small scale.

The strong force is what holds a nucleas together, even as the positively charged protons attempt to repell each other. I can’t believe I never heard about this before! When the protons and neutrons are considered to be composed of quarks, the strong force can be attributed to the “color force” between the quarks. The weak force allows one “flavor” of quark to change to another, allowing nuclear fusion to take place, and is thus necessary for every star that burns.

Quarks

This is another subject I have read about briefly but never really considered until now. I had thought that quarks were as “imaginary” as string theory; however, this is not true. Quarks are the elementary particles of the universe in that the 6 flaovrs of quarks make up the protons, neutrons, mesons, and all other particles which then, successively, make up matter itself. Mesons are particles composed of two quarks, and baryons are particles composed of three quarks. Protons and neutrons are thus mesons (constructed from up and down quarks). Quarks exist in the flavors up, down, strange, charm, bottom, and top.

My code is still running… the more I learn about physics, the more I realize I don’t know! I am super-excited about quarks – I need to go check out a book on elementary particle physics from the library because they seem SUPER COOL and I want to learn more about them!

Sources:

Wikipedia, Carrol & Ostlie

2 comments:

  1. You should let me know what you ended up finding out. I didn't know quarks came in flavors... :/ Who made this stuff up?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good question :/ Actually, I bought a book on particle physics back when I posted this! Unfortunately, I read about half of it and then abandoned it due to Caltech time constaints. I should pick that back up and then I can tell you allll about it:)

    ReplyDelete